- Exporting and Downloading Organization and Session Files
- Downloading Data using the Export Hub
- Release Notes v2.24
- Poster Sessions
- Talk Now for Poster Sessions
- How to use Keys to translate Meeting Names and Desktop Headers
- Creating Keys to Translate Meeting Names and Desktop Navigation
- Unpublishing an App from the Android App Store
- Removing an App from the Apple Store
Set up Zoom Breakout Rooms with the Option to Allow Attendees to Choose their Room Follow
If you'd like to prepare breakout rooms within a Zoom meeting and let your attendees choose the room they'd like to visit, you can! Breakout rooms are a feature of Zoom meetings, but not webinars. Your attendees will use the Zoom native app, alongside Pathable, to participate.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to use the self-select feature, ALL attendees, and the meeting host, must have v.5.3.0 of Zoom or higher on their local computer. If an attendee is not on 5.3.0+, they will not have the option to select a breakout room. You can get the newest version of Zoom at https://zoom.us/download.
As the Zoom meeting host:
- Start your Zoom meeting up to 20 minutes before the start time, in the "Manage" menu of the meeting (not sure what this means? Take a look at this article: How to Present.)
- Select the Breakout Rooms button in the Zoom menu:
3. The pop-up menu will offer the option to create a number of breakout rooms. Select the number you'd like to create, and whether you'd like to assign them automatically (randomly), manually (put specific attendees in specific rooms) or let participants choose room (the topic of this article, so let's do that):
4. The next menu will display the number of rooms you selected, named "Room 1," "Room 2," as a default. Hover over the center of the room name bar to reveal the "Rename" button, then select it to rename the room to something more enticing and descriptive. When the rooms are named, select Open All Rooms.
When an attendee joins the main room, or if they are in the room when you select Open All Rooms, they will see the option to join a breakout room in their own Zoom menu:
Then they will select from the list you've provided to join a room. They'll also be able to see who is in a room currently:
While the breakout rooms are open, you will have a menu where you can see who hasn't chosen a room (and assign them to one, if you'd like), and a place to send a broadcast message that appears at the top of each room. You can also select Close All Rooms, which gives the participants 60 seconds to wrap up their discussion before returning them to the main meeting.