Pathable's integration with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) allows you and your attendees to use their existing Azure username and password to log in to your Pathable.
For general information about Azure AD, follow this link: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/active-directory/#features.
Our solution provides the ability to have different configurations for different events. You can either set up different Active Directories for each community, or just use the same configuration over and over.
How to Enable Azure AD SSO
Note: You may need help from your IT department to enable Azure AD, because some steps may require privileges that you may not have. Also, if you already have Azure AD configured and have the key values in hand, skip to Step 8 where you can insert the necessary keys on the Pathable side.
You can create more complex options depending on your goals for your SSO, but we recommend the following basic configuration as a start.
- Navigate to https://portal.azure.com/ and log in with your account. On the search bar, search for "Azure Active Directory." If you recently have opened it, it may appear on "Azure Services".
- On the Overview page for Azure AD, locate App registrations in the menu on the left side. You may or may not see some applications there already, but we highly recommend that you create a new one for use in Pathable, so as not to affect any other systems you have that use Azure AD.
- Select New registration at the top of the page.
- Name the app (we suggest something like "Pathable Event Name SSO"), then insert the URLs for the SSOs you want to enable by selecting Add URI, then inserting the appropriate URL:
- To enable SSO for the admins on the Host Tools Dashboard, insert https://yourcommunity.admin.pathable.co/_oauth/azureAd into the Redirect URIs
- To enable SSO for the attendees of your event, insert https://yourcommunity.pathable.co/_oauth/azureAd into the Redirect URIs
Note: Replace the "yourcommunity" in the above URLs with the URL of your actual Pathable site.
- After registering the application, you will be redirected to the Overview display. Under Essentials, copy the two values (called keys) on this page under Application (client) ID and Directory (tenant) ID. You'll need these keys to put into Pathable's system in a later step.
- There’s one additional key required. Navigate to Certificates & secrets in the menu on the left side. After opening this page, select New client secret and choose “Never” for Expires.
- A new secret key will be created. Copy this value as well.
- Now that you have all the keys in hand, you are ready to insert this information into Pathable’s Host Tools Dashboard.
- On your Pathable Host Tools Dashboard, navigate to Settings>API and check the box for Single Sign-On.
- Choose Azure AD from the SSO Strategy drop-down menu. If this option isn't visible, contact your CHM to enable it for you.
- Insert the keys you copied from Azure.
- Application (client) ID to Client ID
- Directory (tenant) ID to Tenant ID
- Certificates & secrets key to Secret
- You may also choose, at this point, to customize the labels on your Sign In and Sign Out buttons.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and Save.
Note: the Root URL for your event determines where a signed-in user will land. It will be the home URL of your community by default; however, if you'd like your attendees to be directed to a different page after they are authenticated, you can change that URL.